Thursday, May 5, 2011

My Revue on Elvis!

Born Elvis Aaron Presley January 8, 1935 and he passed away on August 16, 1977 at the age of 42. He was born in Tupelo, Mississippi then his family moved to Memphis, Tennessee when he was 13 years old.

Elvis did have a twin brother his name is Jesse Garon Presley he was born 35 minutes before Elvis. Jesse was born stillborn. Elvis was an only child and formed a very tight relationship with his mom.

The type of music he sang was Rock and Roll, Pop, Rockabilly, Country, Blues, Gospel and R&B.

He was a Musician and an Actor.
The instruments he played are Guitar and Piano.
He was the most popular singer of the 20th century. He is well known at the "King of Rock and Roll".

On his 11th birthday he had gotten his very first guitar. His uncle's and his pastor was giving him lessons on the guitar. Elvis was described as crazy about his music in 6th grade. Slim's younger brother worked at a radio station and brought Elvis there to perform to get the shyness away. By the second time going to the radio station it had worked. Then Elvis and his family had moved to Memphis and his music teacher said he had no aptitude for singing. The next day he brought his guitar to school and sang " Keep Them Cold Ice Fingers Off Me". He had gotten in trouble for singing that song in school. Then Elvis had three jobs to help his mom pay the bills. He was also entered in a talent show in 1953. The people rumbled because they didn't know that he could sing. After the talent show he was amazed how popular he became then.

Elvis never had any formal music lessons. He didn't know how to read the notes for music at all. He studied and played by ear. He listened to records at the record store with the jukebox and listening booths. The music he listened to  was Hank Snow, Roy Acuff, Ernest Tubb, Ted Daffan, Jimmy Rodgers, Jimmy Davis and Bob Wills. 

In August 1953 Elvis walked into Sun Records and wanted to have a few minutes of studio time to record two songs for his mom. The names of the songs are "My Happiness" and " That's When Your Heartaches Begin". He was hoping to be noticed while recording the songs. Sun Records boss Sam Phillips said to write his name down to the secretary.

Elvis career started in 1954 with Sun Records and with owner Sam Phillips. The music was accompanied by guitarist Scotty Moore, Bassist Bill Black. Elvis is one of the originators of Rockabilly, an up tempo back beat-driven of Country and Rhythm and Blues. RCA Victor acquired his contract in a deal arranged by Colonel Tom Parker which would be Elvis manager for many years. The first single for Elvis is " Heartbreak Hotel". This was released in January 1956 and was a number one hit.

On March 24, 1958 Elvis was enlisted into the US Army as a private at Fort Chaffee near Fort Smith Arkansas. The media and fans were there when he stepped off the bus. Reporters followed him on base. Elvis told  the officers he didn't want to be treated any different from anyone else. Elvis did his basic training at Fort Hood Texas. After basic training he had a two week leave and he went to Nashville to cut five songs. The he returned to Fort Hood and in August his mother was diagnosed with Hepatitis and her condition got worse. Elvis has and emergency leave to go and visit her. Elvis arrived on August 12th and two days later his mom passed away at age 46.

On October 1st he was in Friedberg Germany. This is were he was introduced to amphetamines. This was not for energy but it was for strength and weight loss. He donated his Army pay to charities. While in Germany he met 14 year old Priscella Beaulieu. After seven in half years of courtship they married.

Then March 2,1960 Elvis returned wtih honorable discharge and was ranked as a Sergeant. On March 20th at RCA Nashville Studio He cut tracks for a new album with the single " Stuck On You" and that went to number one. G.I. Blues the soundtrack was the first film for Elvis since he was home.

In February 1964 Elvis performed tow shows at a benefit event in Memphis on behalf of 24 Charities. He was also presented a plaque by RCA for selling of 75 million copies Worldwide.

His movie career started on 1960 with " Flaming Star" and " Wild in the Country" in 1961. He made 27 movies in the 1960's. The most popular movies are "Viva Las Vegas" Crying In The Chapel" and " How Great Thou Art". The movie " How Great Thou Art" won a Grammy for Elvis.

On February 1 1968 his daughter Lisa Marie was born. This was a time he was deeply unhappy with his career. So in late June Elvis recorded a Christmas special and it would be shown on NBC on December 3rd. For this show he sang with power that people no longer expect of Rock and Roll singers, the way he moved his body with a lack of pretension and effort. This was a great show to watch for Christmas. January 1969 the single " If I Can Dream" reached number twelve. Then the soundtrack for the special went into the top ten.

Then on October 9,1973 Elvis and Priscella had gotten a divorce. Elvis's health was becoming unwell. He had overdosed twice with barbiturates. He had spent three days in a comma the first time in his hotel suite. The end of 1973 he was hospitalized from the effects of Demerol. In 1973 Elvis had done 168 concerts. Despite his health failing in 1974 he had another busy year touring. During this tour he could hardly stand and you could tell he was all drugged up. But each show was a sellout crowd to see him.

Then in 1977 he was really overweight, his mind was dulled by pharmacopoeia he took daily. He could barely pull himself through a concert. In Alexandria, Louisiana you could not understand a word he was singing. He never showed up in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. June 26 was his final concert in Market Square Arena in Indianapolis. On August 1st the three body guards that his dad fired wrote a book called "Elvis: What Happened". Elvis suffered from Glaucoma, High Blood Pressure, Liver Damage and an Enlarged Colon from drug abuse. On August 16, 1977 his girlfriend Ginger Alden went to get Elvis because he was suppose to start a new tour. Ginger found him laying on the bathroom floor unresponsive. She tried to revive him and she could not. Elvis was pronounced dead at 3:30pm at Baptist Memorial Hospital. He was layed to rest on August 18,1977. There was over 80,000 people lined for the processional route to Forest Hill Cemetery

Then one of Elvis cousin's Billy Mann decided to take a picture while the coffin was open for the National Enquirer so he could get $18,000. Then his girlfriend Ginger gave her story about Elvis so she could get $105,000. These are some really greedy people.

I will end this by saying that Elvis had a great career and I do love his music. I am proud to say that a great person served in the Army just like my dad did too. .

No comments:

Post a Comment